Mothers day is coming up this Sunday and I am sure most of your moms have a sweet tooth. What better gift than a home-baked dessert. Straight from the heart and absolutely delicious!
Chocolate + berries is truly the perfect combo. This decadent dark chocolate cake is paired with a raspberry-blueberry compote and a creamy cashew cream frosting. Topped with fresh raspberries and more compote. If it is even possible your mom will love you even more after giving her a slice…or two of this mouthwatering cake.
This cake is secretly healthy. It is oil-free and sweetened with coconut sugar.
Minimalist Baker’s cashew cream frosting makes for the perfect addition to this decadent cake. Healthier than your average powdered sugar based frosting!
This recipe is…
- Healthier than your average cake
- Chocolate and decadent
- 100% vegan
- perfect to get in your daily dose of fruit 😉
Dark Chocolate Raspberry Cake with Cashew Cream Frosting
By: Taavi Elizabeth Makes: 1 large 10-inch round or 2 small 8-inch
- 2 cups fresh/frozen berries (I used frozen raspberries & blueberries)
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch + 2 tbsp water
Cashew cream frosting (recipe by Minimalist Baker)
- 1 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (I used dark cocoa)
- 1 tbsp ground coffee
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Make the cashew buttercream beforehand. Refrigerate while preparing the rest.
- Prepare the berry compote. In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the berries. Let reduce and simmer for 5-6 min. Add lemon zest, juice, and coconut sugar. In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch and water to create a slurry. Add to saucepan and whisk. Let reduce even more for 2-3 min. until thick. Transfer to a mason jar or glass container and refrigerate to cool while making the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 8-inch rounds with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (up to ground coffee). In a small mixing bowl whisk together the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour wet mixture into dry. Using a spatula combine, trying not to overmix. Pour batter evenly between both pans. Bake for 18-20 min. or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool cakes for 5 min. in their rounds. Then transfer them to a wire cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Assemble: taking one layer of cake, spread cashew cream frosting in an even layer. Spread on 3/4 of the berry jam. Add the other layer. Spread generously with more cashew cream. Spread on the rest of the berry jam in the center of the cake and add fresh raspberries if preferred. Dig in!