I am so excited to share with you my first christmas recipe! I was so happy with how this recipe came out that I totally forgot to post it on my blog, but I did post it on my instagram: healthienut I am so happy it is officially christmas season, this part of the year just makes my mood 10x better!!
A picture perfect day is snuggling up in comfy christmas themed pjs, hot cocoa, and a soft fuzzy blanket. Speaking of a perfect holiday day, it snowed for the first time in the cold state of Washington, yes please!!
These cookies pair perfectly with a warm cup of hot cocoa, and that picture perfect christmas day!
They have the perfect chewy texture, that everyone is looking for in a perfect sugar cookie. I topped it with a simple frosting recipe! The red frosting is naturally dyed with beet juice, so no need to use food dye that contains who knows what?!
Easy Vegan Sugar Cookies
By: healthienut Makes: 12-13 cookies
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (0r 1 stick)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- Frosting Recipe
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- For the red frosting – 1 tsp beet juice (remaining liquid from boiled beets)
- Crushed candy canes (optional: for sprinkling on top)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, corn starch, & salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar together with an electric mixer in a medium mixing bowl. Add in apple sauce, vanilla, & almond milk.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until it forms a soft dough (you are able to roll it out).
- Roll out onto a flat surface (about 1/3 inch thick). Cut into desired shapes. Spread out evenly on a greased baking sheet and bake for 8-10 min. or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let it completely cool before adding frosting. Add frosting and sprinkle with crushed candy canes. Enjoy!