Summer is approaching and that means more and more delicious fruits are coming into season! One of them being pineapple, which is at the top of my favorites list. What better way to take advantage of pineapple being in season than using it in a delicious cupcake recipe??
Pineapple and coconut are truly the perfect pairing…so fresh and delicious!
This Pina Colada inspired cupcake recipe is definitely one to try.
I have had a few taste testers with these cupcakes and surprisingly the frosting seems to be a huge hit! I am not much of a frosting type of gal, so I was pretty happy that this one came out pretty good.
The cake is so moist and the rich coconut flavor with the fresh pineapple puree really comes through perfectly.
Pineapple Coconut Cupcakes
By: healthienut Yields: Approx. 1 1/2 dozen cupcakes
Cupcake (adapted from The Food Network)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup coconut milk beverage*
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- Pineapple puree: 2 cups chopped pineapple + 2 tbsp cane sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake tin with silicon or paper cupcake liners.
- Combine all dry ingredients (flour, cane sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt) in a large mixing bowl, set aside.
- Start by making the pineapple puree. Place 2 cups chopped pineapple and 2 tbsp cane sugar in a food processor until smooth. Pour into a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until it becomes thicker and reduces to an applesauce like texture. Pour 3/4 cup of puree into small mixing bowl.
- With the pineapple, add in rest of wet ingredients (canned coconut milk, coconut milk beverage, coconut sugar and vanilla). Whisk well.
- Add wet ingredients into dry and whisk until smooth. Using a cookie scoop pour in equal amounts of batter into cupcake liners. Bake for 20-24 min or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 tbsp canned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp leftover pineapple puree
- (optional) 1-2 drops yellow food coloring
- In a stand mixer (or electric hand mixer) , combine all ingredients. Whisk until fluffy and smooth. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with tip of choice. Pipe on frosting when cupcakes have completely cooled.
- (optional) Top with toasted coconut. Enjoy!
* Coconut milk beverage is not canned coconut milk. It is the milk you find next to the rest of the non-dairy milks.