My dad’s birthday is in about a month and I wanted to create his favorite cake…Carrot cake. I gotta say it’s one of my favorites too, along with double chocolate cake…I have a slight obsession with chocolate.
This carrot cake is everything you can ask for moist, but still fluffy. Sweet, but not overly sweet (not like that artificial junk). It is also 100% vegan, so you don’t need to feel overly guilty about eating a slice.
I added a touch of freshly grated ginger, and it added such a great subtly spicy flavor. It isn’t overpowering, but it is just enough to balance out the sweetness of the frosting and sugar in the batter.
I highly recommend to toast some pecans, chop them up, and sprinkle them over the buttercream layers. The crunch is too die for and toasted nuts just overall give desserts such a nice flavor.
This cake is…
Moist & Fluffy Vegan Carrot Cake
By: Taavi Elizabeth Makes: 2 thin 8-inch rounds or 1 large 10 inch
- 1 3/ 4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup + 1 tbsp water (or almond milk)
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- (Optional) 1 heaping tbsp finely chopped, soaked dates
Buttercream + Topping
- 1/2 cup slightly softened vegan butter
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 8-inch round cake tins with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients (including grated ginger).
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together both sugars, oil, vinegar, vanilla extract, and water. Pour wet mixture into dry and stir together with spatula until JUST combined.
- Fold in grated carrots and dates (Don’t overmix). Divide batter evenly between both cake tins. Bake for 30-35 min. or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While cake is baking, prepare buttercream. Using a handheld or standing mixer, beat powdered sugar and softened butter until combined. Add in vanilla and vinegar. Slowly whisk in almond milk until desired thickness of buttercream.
- Completely cool cakes. To assemble, place one layer on cake stand. Frost with an even layer of buttercream, sprinkle generously with 1/2 of the toasted pecans. Top with other cake layer, frost more, and more toasted pecans. Cool for 5 min. to allow frosting to set. Enjoy!