I was a bit hesitant on making this recipe, as I have never experiment with gluten-free baking before, but it turned out way better than I expected! These Caramel Vanilla Bean Cookie Slices are too die for and I was holding myself back from eating the whole batch.
The vanilla bean in the cashew filling is so rich and decadent that it pairs perfectly with the blondie. The date caramel filling is actually leftovers from my last recipe I posted!
Date Caramel Filling
Vanilla Bean Cashew Cream
It is also……
& Refined Sugar-free
Disclaimer: Keep in mind that this is in no way a low-fat dessert, lets be honest…fat just makes desserts 10x better…lol! However, most of the fats used in this recipe are healthier fats such as, coconut oil, coconut cream, nut butter, and cashews. This is a lot healthier dessert than a traditional refined sugar, non-vegan dessert! So no need to feel guilty after eating this.
Caramel Vanilla Bean Cookie Slices
By: healthienut Yields: 1 loaf pan or approx. 10 slices
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend (I used Minimalist Baker’s recipe)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup creamy nut butter (almond, peanut, etc.)
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax seed meal + 3 tbsp water)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
Date Caramel Filling
- About 1/2 cup of Date Caramel Recipe
- 1 cup cashews (soaked in boiling water for 2-3 hrs)
- 1/3 cup coconut cream (from chilled canned coconut milk)
- 1/3 cup coconut liquid (from chilled canned coconut milk)
- Seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (180 celsius). Grease a loaf pan or line with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Prepare flax egg by whisking together flax seed meal and water, set aside for 5 min.
- In a smaller mixing bowl whisk together the rest of the ingredients, including flax egg. Using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir together the wet mixture into the dry.
- Pour batter into the loaf pan and spread evenly. Bake for 20 min. or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 15 min. Set aside.
- Prepare the date caramel if not done so already. Make sure the caramel is completely cooled before spreading over blondies. Once blondies are cooled, spread the caramel over the blondies in an even layer. Set aside.
- In a blender combine all the ingredients. Pour filling over the caramel. Chill in the freezer for 1-2 hrs or until firm.
- (Optional) Sprinkle over lemon zest and butterfly pea flowers for color.
- Cut into slices, & enjoy!
*Store in the freezer and place parchment paper over to prevent freezer burn.
*Only use the seeds from the vanilla bean, by slicing it in half and scraping out the seeds using the back of a knife.