Fluffy, moist, and rich healthier chocolate carrot cake. Made no refined sugar and of course completely vegan. Topped off with a creamy cashew orange frosting.
You may be thinking…chocolate…carrot cake? Yes. I have yet again found a way to sneak chocolate into any and all desserts. But trust me on this one it is completely worth it. Valentines day is right around the corner, so I had to.
If you’re not a huge fan of chocolate (ok, who are you?) feel free to omit the 1/2 cup cocoa powder and swap for more flour. Also, omit the chocolate chips and instant espresso powder.
What makes this cake so moist and fluffy is the addition of coconut oil, maple syrup, and shredded carrots. The carrots add a perfect amount of moisture to this cake to make it extra fluffy and soft. Not to mention, this cake is only sweetened with the addition of coconut sugar and maple syrup. A bit of sugar is from the chocolate chips, but you’re welcome to find an extra dark chocolate that contains little to no cane sugar.
- Make sure to not forget the espresso powder. It emphasizes the rich chocolate flavor and overall makes for a delicious, decadent dessert.
- The addition of orange zest beautifully complements the carrot and chocolate combination. Adding a touch of brightness and zest to the dessert. It’s honestly kind of magical.
This Healthier Chocolate Carrot Cake is…
- Refined sugar-free (almost)
- Perfect for that special day (aka feb. 14th)
- Oh so delicious!
Fluffy, moist, and rich Healthier Chocolate Carrot Cake. Topped off with a creamy cashew orange frosting.
- 1 ¼ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp orange zest
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1 ½ cups cashews, soaked (in boiling water for 20 min)
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp orange zest
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×9" square baking dish with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (up to and including orange zest). In a separate bowl, combine milk and apple cider vinegar. Whisk to combine and let sit for 5 min. Whisk in coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Pour wet mixture into dry and stir to combine. Once almost all the flour is stirred in, fold in the shredded carrot and chocolate. Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Bake for 32-35 min. until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
When cake is cooling, prepare frosting. In a high-speed blender, blend soaked cashews, milk, maple syrup, and orange zest until creamy. Frost cake once cooled. Sprinkle over a bit of orange zest. Cut into 9 even squares. Enjoy!