Tofu often gets a bad rep in the vegan community. Bland, flavorless, and has a mouthfeel of a sponge. However, if you get the cook right and season it correctly it will taste amazing…like addicting amazing!
This tofu is crispy on the outside, but soft on the inside. Tossed in a sticky & thick sweet & sour glaze served over a slightly toasted veggie fried rice. This recipe is beyond simple and can easily be stored in your fridge to enjoy any time of the week.
This recipe is using my sweet & sour tempeh sauce recipe that was featured in Thrive Magazine and on The Feed Feed website! So, I will link that recipe in the ingredient list. It is definitely one of my favorites, as it’s super thick and has the perfect balance of sweet and sour.
Sweet & Sour Tofu Fried Rice
By: Taavi Elizabeth Serves: 4-5
- 1 14 oz. pkg extra firm tofu
- Sweet & sour sauce
- 1 1/2 cups short grain brown rice
- 3 whole star anise (optional)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 diced white onion
- 2 diced carrots
- 1/2 head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1/2 diced green bell pepper
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp tamari (or low-sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tsp mirin (or rice vinegar)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- black and/or white sesame seeds
- fresh cilantro
- fresh green onion
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Press the excess water out of the tofu by putting the block between paper towels and adding a heavy weight on top. Let sit for 5 min. Cut into cubes and arrange on baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 min. or until crispy and golden brown.
- While tofu is baking, prepare the rice. In a saucepan add in dry rice, veggie broth, and star anise. Bring to a boil, cover, and lower heat to medium-high. Simmer for 20-25 min. or until rice is cooked.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and saute until translucent. Mix in the rest of the vegetables and saute for 5-6 min. or until soft. Once rice is done, add it to the skillet (remove star anise). Press it to flat down in an even layer and cook for 5 min to get it crispy. Add in the rest of the ingredients (ie; sesame oil, etc). Stir to combine. Season with salt if needed.
- Prepare the sweet and sour sauce last, to keep it nice and warm. In a small bowl, toss the tofu in the sauce to fully coat.
- Serve: In a bowl, add in fried rice and top with sweet and sour tofu. Sprinkle on a few sesame seeds, chopped green onion, cilantro, and a drizzle of sriracha.
Your photography is so beautiful! That close-up shot is just perfect! I can’t wait to see more of your work on your blog!
Tofu is such a great food to cook with, I love experimenting with different ways to give it some more flavor!