I didn’t realize how many lemon recipes I had on my blog till I felt like I have written “lemon” in my blog post title numerous times before…oops! I guess I have a thing for lemons.
This is a deliciously perfect recipe to make on weekdays, as it’s super simple and most of the ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen!
Flavorful buckwheat soba noodles paired with a light, slightly zesty & creamy lemon peanut sauce. The crunch of the chopped toasted peanuts, crunchy baked tofu, and hints of sesame are some of the perfect additions to this dish.
I have never pan roasted lemons before, but let me tell you, since today…I am going to be doing it to a lot of my dishes! It creates such a distinct deep lemon flavor to your dish that is different than simply adding lemon juice or zest. I highly recommend to do the same to not only this dish, but maybe roasted veggies, Italian pasta dishes, flatbreads, and the list goes on.
Asian Noodle Stir Fry w/ Lemon Peanut Sauce
By: Taavi Elizabeth Serves: 3-4
- 1/2 pkg of tofu
- 8 oz. buckwheat soba noodles
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup finely shredded purple cabbage
- 1/2 green bell pepper – thinly sliced
- 1/2 shallot – thinly sliced
- 1 lemon cut into thin slices
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1-inch knob of ginger – grated
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp cornstarch + 1 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted peanuts
- Fresh cilantro
- Chopped green onion
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Cube tofu and evenly arrange on baking sheet. Bake for 28-30 min, or until crispy and golden brown on both sides. Flip halfway through.
- While tofu is baking, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients except cornstarch slurry. In a small saucepan, pour in the sauce. Whisk together cornstarch and water in a separate bowl then add it to the saucepan. Heat sauce until it thickens. The consistency should be like creamy peanut butter. Pour it back into the bowl you whisked it in and set aside.
- Heat 2 tsp of olive oil in a large skillet. Add sliced lemons in an even layer and cook on either side until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Immediately add in all the veggies and a splash of water. Saute until onion is translucent and veggies are tender, stirring frequently.
- While veggies are sauteing boil a large pot of water and cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse. Add noodles along with tofu into the skillet with veggies. Pour in lemon peanut sauce. Carefully toss to generously coat everything.
- Serve and garnish with the roasted lemon slices, chopped fresh cilantro, green onion, and chopped toasted peanuts. Enjoy!