Lasagna in a mug?! That’s right! and it’s absolutely delicious! This is a perfect recipe for college or high school students who don’t have time to wait for the lasagna to cook in the oven or don’t want to make a huge batch.
This recipe doesn’t call for any fancy or hard to find ingredients, most of them should already be in your pantry. Just make sure you have that fresh basil on hand because it adds such a delicious fresh flavor to this dish.
This lasagna is layered with…
Simple, easy, & flavorful tomato sauce
Basil tofu ricotta
Lasagna noodles (of course)
and fresh spinach
This recipe is…
Basil Ricotta Lasagna
By: Taavi Elizabeth Serves: 2
- 6 cooked lasagna sheets (whole wheat if preferred)
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp chiffonade fresh basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 block tofu
- 1/2 cup spinach
- In a small skillet, heat olive oil until shimmering. Add in onion and cook for 2-3 min. or until slightly softened and fragrant. Add in minced garlic and cook for another 2-3 min. or until onion is translucent. Add half of the onion mixture into a small mixing bowl and keep the rest in the skillet.
- Pour in canned diced tomatoes into the skillet with the onion mixture. Add in 1/4 tsp of salt and dried oregano. Simmer for 8-10 min.
- While tomato sauce is simmering, add the tofu to the mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Add fresh basil, oregano, garlic & onion powder, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Once tomato sauce is done, get ready to assemble.
- Stack cooked lasagna sheets together and cut into thirds. Layer 1 generous tbsp of tomato sauce into the bottom of the mug followed by 2 strips of lasagna (layered like an X), then spread on 1 tbsp tofu ricotta and 2-3 small spinach leaves. Repeat 2 more times. The top of the mug should have room for a bit of ricotta and a spoonful of tomato sauce.
- Cook for 1 min. 30 seconds in the microwave, uncovered. Garnish with more chiffonade basil and cracked black pepper. Enjoy!
*I found that 1 min. 30 sec. was a perfect time for the lasagna. Uncovered was also best, as I tried covering it with a plate and it spilled everywhere!