Happy (almost) Valentine’s day! I am single myself so the only plans I have is to indulge in some chocolate and desserts…because what is better than that? Oh and maybe some Netflix 😉
For me, berries and chocolate just seem like the perfect Valentine’s indulgence…and paired with a buttery flaky crust just makes it even better!
Although I would love to indulge in an uber fudgy unhealthy chocolate cake…I do have my priorities and that’s to eat healthily. So, I made sure to make this pastry as healthy as I could and I think I succeeded!
Of course, you could make this gluten-free, but I like my gluten so feel free to sub in whatever flours of your choosing!
Instead of butter, I used coconut oil.
Instead of using a super sugary jam I made my own.
Instead of pairing it with a refined sugar filled dipping sauce I made a healthy, yet delicious chocolate sauce made with only dates, coconut milk, vanilla extract, cocoa powder, and coffee!
This recipe is…
Healthier than your average pastry
Will win over your Valentine <3
Jam-filled Hand Pies with Healthy Chocolate Sauce
By: Taavi Elizabeth Makes: 7-8 hand pies
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold coconut oil
- 2 tsp organic cane sugar
- Almond milk
- 1 cup frozen or fresh mixed berries (or berry of choice)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp organic cane sugar
- Cornstarch slurry (mix together 1 tsp cornstarch w/ water)
- 1/4 cup soaked dates
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (or add until desired thickness)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground instant coffee or coffee syrup (got mine at Trader Joes)
- Start by making the pie dough. In a large mixing bowl add in flour and sugar. Cut in the cold coconut oil with your hands until it’s a crumb-like mixture.
- Slowly mix in almond milk with a wooden spoon until a dough starts to form. Use your hands once it gets too hard. I eyeballed the almond milk, so just keep adding it in until you can form a smooth dough ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 min.
- While the dough is refrigerating, prepare the jam. In a small saucepan, reduce berries down until liquid starts to form. Add the cornstarch slurry, lemon zest, and sugar. Simmer mixture for 10-15 min. or until slightly thick. Transfer to a small jar and cool for 15-20 min. or until its thickened even further.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Take the dough out and roll till it’s about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into circles and arrange on lined baking sheet. Take cooled down jam and place about 1 tsp of jam into center of circle. Brush some water or melted coconut oil around the edges and secure corresponding circle on top. Seal by pressing a fork along the edges. Optional: score a small heart on the surface for Valentine’s day!
- Repeat that process for the remainder of the circles until you run out of dough. Brush hand pies with melted vegan butter and sprinkle on a bit of raw cane sugar. Bake for 15-20 min. or until golden brown.
- While hand pies are baking, prepare chocolate sauce. Process all ingredients in a food processor and pour into a small dipping bowl.
- Enjoy hand pies with chocolate sauce. Enjoy!