I am definitely pasta obsessed, so when someone says creamy pasta I am all over it!
Pasta has such a bad rep in the health community as a bad carb. Let’s be real…carbs are good for you! A helping of complex carbohydrates, such as whole grains and unrefined sugars are good for you!
What makes a pasta dish healthy is all in the sauce. Veer away from sauces loaded with cream, cheese, lots of salt, and saturated fat. This is a much healthier alternative to a traditional beef stroganoff. A creamy mushroom and cashew based sauce with bits of chewy seitan.
This recipe is…
Oh so creamy and luscious
Great depth of flavor
Healthy & simple
Creamy Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff
By: Taavi Elizabeth Serves: 3-4
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cups sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced seitan strips or homemade
- White wine vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 10 oz. pasta of choice (I used whole wheat farfalle)
- Chopped chives (optional)
- Heat up oil in a large skillet. Add in onion and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent and fragrant. Stir in mushrooms and seitan. Cook for 7-8 min. or until golden brown. Deglaze with a splash of white wine vinegar.
- Pour in vegetable broth, salt, and pepper. Simmer on medium-low for 3-5 min, while you prepare cashew cream.
- In a high-speed blender, blend cashews, milk, thyme, and cornstarch until thick & creamy. Pour 2/3 cup of the cream into the skillet. Simmer for 8-10 min. or until it has thickened quite a bit.
- While sauce is simmering, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to directions. Drain and set aside.
- Once the sauce has thickened, pour in drained pasta and stir to coat. Serve with chopped chives. Enjoy!