If you haven’t already checked out my Mac n’ Cheese Broccoli Bake then you’re missing out. This recipe is the same cheese sauce I used in that post…but I think a basic Mac n’ Cheese deserves its own post. It is just that good!
A gooey and ultra creamy cashew-based vegan cheese sauce with a hint of smokiness. The perfect 30-minute meal for a weeknight that will stun your family members and yourself. Can never go wrong with a bowl of mac n’ cheese.
This recipe is…
- Incredibly creamy and gooey
- Healthy + 100% plant based
- Super easy and simple
Vegan Mac n’ Cheese
By: Taavi Moore Serves: 3-4
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked in boiling water for 1 hour, or overnight)
- 1 chopped carrot
- 9 oz. peeled roughly chopped potatoes
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped white onion
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tamari (or low-sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 8 oz. pasta of choice
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to pkg directions, drain and set aside.
- Boil potatoes, carrots, and onions in a large pot of water. Cook for 5-6 min. until carrots are tender and potatoes are soft. Drain.
- To a high powered blender, add cooked veggies and remaining ingredients. Blend until thick and smooth. Transfer sauce to the pot you used to boil the veggies. Simmer on medium-low heat for 2-3 min. to slightly thicken. Transfer pasta to a bowl and add preferred amount of sauce. Stir to fully coat noodles.
- Serve with fresh basil, a sprinkle of smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, and coconut bacon. Enjoy!