As summer approaches it is time to start making dinners with fresh summer veggies. Pesto immediately calls my name during this time of year. So what better way than to lather it on some flatbread, toss some veggies on, and sprinkle with a bit of zaatar…yes please!
The light, zesty, and creamy pesto pairs perfectly with the crispy chickpea flatbread. Topped with tender blanched asparagus and peas. Garnished with red pepper flakes, zaatar, and fresh crisp sprouts.
Since socca is made of chickpea flour it is 100% gluten-free! So shout out to anyone who doesn’t consume gluten because this is the perfect summer recipe for you.
This recipe is so customizable as you can top it with any of your favorite spring/summer veggies. You could even change up the pesto to a light white sauce or garlic & olive oil rub.
Garlic Scape Pesto Socca Flatbread
By: Taavi Moore Serves: 4-5
- 1 cup chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
Pesto + Veggies
- 1 packed cup fresh basil
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped garlic scapes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 2 smashed garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 asparagus
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- (optional) Zaatar
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together all socca ingredients until smooth. Set aside and let rest for 25-30 min. or until thickened and flour has absorbed some of the water.
- While the batter is resting, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Snap off the woody stem of the asparagus. Cut remaining in half and set the tip aside. Boil the middle pieces for 2 1/2 min. covered. Add the tips and boil for another minute. Immediately drain in a colander and transfer to a small bowl. Toss with a glug of olive oil and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place a cast iron skillet in the oven and switch to broil. Heat the pan for 5 min. Take it out and grease with a tsp of olive oil. Pour in the socca batter and swirl it around to fully coat the pan. Broil on high for 8 min until blistering and golden brown.
- Take out the pan and apply your toppings. Spread on a generous amount of pesto, asparagus pieces, and frozen peas. Switch the oven to 400 degrees. Place pan back in the oven and cook for 8-9 min. or until peas are cooked through and asparagus is slightly browned.
- Garnish with fresh sprouts, a sprinkle of za’atar, and red pepper flakes. Cut into wedges and serve with a fluffy bowl of couscous. Enjoy!
This looks incredibly tasty and quite unique; I have never heard of socca before so I would like to try this out.
wow! So cool! I’ll definitely try this!