One of my favorite types of cake is carrot cake, but I try to not make cake too much because 1. It takes a while to make and 2. I never end up eating it all. So what better way to enjoy it then in cupcake form and have it 10x healthier than your traditional carrot cake!
A deliciously moist whole grain muffin embedded with gooey chocolate chips, and shredded carrot. Sweetened with coconut sugar and bound with banana instead of oil. How healthier and enjoyable can that get?!
I paired this with a super creamy and thick cashew cream cheese frosting. It is super easy to make and only requires 4 ingredients.
Simply blend everything in a blender, transfer it to a small bowl, and put it in the freezer to firm up a bit. What I love about it is that it can easily be piped on, which most cashew cream frostings are too runny to do so!
This recipe is…
- Refined sugar-free (sweetened with organic coconut sugar)
- Moist & fluffy
- Addicting to say the least
Chocolate Chip Carrot Cake Muffins with Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting
By: Taavi Moore Makes: 11-12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 2 mashed ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
Cashew cream cheese frosting
- 1 cup soaked raw cashews
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients (up to the coconut sugar). In a smaller mixing bowl mashed bananas, and stir in the milk, vinegar, and vanilla. Pour in wet mixture into dry and stir until just combined. Fold in shredded carrot and chocolate chips.
- Using a ice cream scoop, scoop in an even amount of batter into each liner until 3/4 full. Bake for 19-20 min. or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While cupcakes are baking, prepare the frosting. In a high-speed blender blend all ingredients until completely smooth. Scoop into a small jar and transfer to the freezer for 20 min. or until firm. By then the muffins should be completely cool.
- Pipe on frosting and sprinkle on a bit of coconut sugar. Enjoy!