I am a major snacker…and sometimes that can be unhealthy depending on what I choose to snack on. That is why I always try to have some type of homemade energy bars or bites stored in my freezer.
Let me tell you. These energy bars are addicting! A chewy and sweet bar embedded with a variety of seeds, such as pumpkin seeds, black and white sesame seeds, and chia seeds. Also some puffed quinoa and sweetness from dates and maple syrup. The secret ingredient that makes it taste 10x better? Tahini! It may sound disgusting, but trust me on this. It will make your world go round.
These bars only take 5-10 min. to make. Simply blitz up the wet mixture in a food processor, stir it into the dry, press down onto a dish, bake and freeze.
This recipe is so versatile as you can sub out any seeds or nuts of your choosing. This recipe would be great with some blitzed up pecans, hemp seeds, or a tbsp of maca powder for a caramelly toffee flavor. Feel free to get creative!
This recipe is…
- super easy & simple
- healthy & low calorie
- sweet with a hint of salty
Chewy Quinoa Tahini Energy Bars
By: Taavi Moore Makes: 10-12 bars
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup creamy tahini
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 cups puffed quinoa
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a small baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, process together the dates, maple syrup, vanilla, tahini, peanut butter, and water until thick and creamy. The consistency should resemble a very thick paste. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients. Add in date paste and using a wooden spoon mix vigorously. I find it easier to get in there with your hands to fully mix together. It may be messy but makes it 10x easier!
- Press the mixture to the baking dish. Flatten the top evenly by pressing on another piece of parchment paper. Bake for 15 min. or until golden brown. Cool for 5 min. Then transfer to the freezer to fully set for 10 min. Cut into bars and enjoy!
*These bars would also be delicious with a drizzle of melted chocolate! Simply cool the bars right out of the oven for 5 min. Drizzle on the chocolate then proceed to stick it in the freezer to set.