I just celebrated my birthday yesterday, August 19th! It was a blast. I visited the farmers market, and enjoyed a delicious dinner at Plum Bistro (my favorite vegan restaurant in Seattle…highly recommend).
I started off my birthday with a homemade ice cream cake made by my lovely mom. I then of course had to make my own bday breakfast…I simply couldn’t resist. I made a huge batch of french toast topped with an assortment of berries (ft. on my instagram Healthienut). One of the berries being blueberries. We had so many leftovers that I had to create a recipe with them!
I have been craving muffins lately, but wanted to twist it up a bit. So this super fluffy, moist, and sweet Lemon Blueberry Muffin Cake was made!
This is a perfect breakfast treat or dessert, as it’s sweet, but not a mouthful of sugar. I find that many muffins or muffin-like cakes taste too sugary, but this isn’t the case. The tanginess of the lemon pairs perfectly with the less sugary treat.
Healthier than your average muffin
Can easily be made oil-free & gluten-free (see notes)
Lemon Blueberry Muffin Cake
By: Taavi Elizabeth Makes: 1 loaf
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 flax egg (1 1/2 tbsp flax seed meal + 3 tbsp water)
- 3/4 cup organic cane sugar (sub coconut sugar if preferred)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or thawed, frozen blueberries
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, spices, & salt).
- In a separate, smaller mixing bowl whisk together the milk and apple cider vinegar. Let it sit for 5-6 min. or until foamy (this creates a vegan buttermilk). While the milk mixture is sitting, prepare the flax egg. Whisk together the flax meal and water, set aside for a minute to thicken. Add flax egg to milk mixture along with rest of the ingredients (except blueberries & lemon zest).
- Pour wet mixture into dry and stir to combine (do not over-mix). Fold in blueberries and lemon zest. Pour batter into loaf pan. Top with a few more fresh blueberries. Bake for 50-55 min. or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Enjoy!
*You may sub out the flour for gluten-free all-purpose flour
*To make oil-free, simply replace coconut oil with apple sauce or mashed banana.