I am so excited to post this recipe because it is definitely one of my favorites!
The texture is absolutely perfect, with a perfect amount of lemon taste and sweet blueberries which pairs perfectly with the raw sugar sprinkled on top!
Drizzled with a simple berry compote icing…..can’t get any better than this.
My mom and I are putting together a tea party this weekend and I wanted to create a dessert that would pair perfectly with a hot cup of tea…so duhh I had to create a scone recipe!
This recipe is super easy, simple, and of course vegan.
Lemon zest & lemon juice
Bits of raw sugar
Buttery fluffy texture (melt in your mouth goodness)
and a drizzle of fresh berry icing!
Lemon Blueberry Scones
By: Taavi Elizabeth Makes: 8 Scones
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup cold vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 flax egg (1.5 tbsp flaxseed meal + 2 tbsp water)
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and lemon zest. Cut in cold vegan butter with hands until a crumbly sand-like mixture forms. Carefully fold in blueberries.
- Whisk together rest of ingredients in a large liquid measuring cup or small bowl. Slowly add wet mixture into dry until it starts to come together as a dough. Stir with a wooden spoon. Once it gets too thick to stir with a spoon, use your hands to carefully form it into a ball. I transferred my dough to a floured surface, which made it easier. Knead it into a smooth ball, JUST until it comes together. Do not over-knead or the scones will be dense. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hr.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Roll out dough to approx. 1.5-inch circle. Cut circle into 8 wedges. Place on baking sheet and brush with almond milk, and sprinkle with raw cane sugar.
- Bake for 22-25 min. or until golden brown. Optional: drizzle with a simple berry icing (powdered sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and berry jam). Enjoy!