I used to be such a huge fan of poppyseed muffins growing up. They were larger than my head (exagerrating a bit), super fluffy, moist, and I probably ate the whole thing. I needed that taste in my life again, so I picked up a bag of organic poppyseeds at my local grocery store and headed home to the kitchen.
These muffins are not as large as I remember, but I dont think I could handle something that big again! However, the taste is just as I remember…maybe even better. Super fluffy and moist, and the perfect amount of lemon flavor that leaves you feeling refreshed and oh so satisifed.
I originally was going to attempt a gluten-free version of these, and don’t worry they are still in the making! However, they didn’t come out as planned the first time so I will post that recipe as soon as I perfect them. This version is as close to the real deal as you could get (other than the fact they are not the size of my head).
So good I could have eaten the whole batch!
Added a touch of cardamom to the batter which created such a wonderful depth of flavor and really boosted this treat.
These muffins are…
Super easy + Simple
Moist & Fluffy
Just as good as the lemon poppyseed muffins you remember that WERE NOT vegan!
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
By: Taavi Elizabeth Makes: 11-12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup coconut oil*
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar*
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin/cupcake tin or line with muffin liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Melt the coconut oil and pour into a smaller mixing bowl. To that bowl, add the rest of the ingredients. Whisk to combine.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir to combine (do not overmix!). Using a cookie scoop, scoop an even amount of batter into each cupcake tin. Bake for 18-20 min. or until sides are golden brown or toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 5 min. Enjoy!
- Oil-free version: Sub applesauce or non-dairy yogurt for an equal amount of melted coconut oil.
- Less sugar version: Sub coconut sugar. Or completely omit the cane sugar and sub 1/4 cup maple syrup and only 3/4 cup almond milk instead of 1 cup.