Who knew that as a vegan you could indulge in a big bowl of mac n cheese without consuming any dairy? This recipe is by far the best mac n cheese I have had and it’s so simple.
This recipe is for vegan mac n cheese, but throw in some breadcrumbs and broccoli, bake, and you got yourself a delicious cheesy broccoli pasta bake! Two recipes in one blog post…yum!
The cheese is oh so creamy and only contains wholesome ingredients that are easy to find.
Vegan Mac n Cheese Broccoli Bake
By: Taavi Elizabeth Serves: 2 (generous)-3
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked in boiling water for 1 hr, or overnight)
- 2 chopped carrots
- 9 oz. peeled roughly chopped potatoes
- 1/2 roughly chopped shallot
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp miso paste
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tamari (or low-sodium soy sauce)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch
- 8 oz. pasta of choice (I used gluten-free quinoa penne)
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 4 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut off top of a whole garlic clove and drizzle with olive oil. Wrap in foil and bake for 30-35 min. Reserve aside 3 cloves.
Mac n Cheese
- Leave oven on 400 degrees. Grease a square 8×8 baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, boil 4 cups water. Add in carrots, potatoes, and shallot and cook until tender. Drain once done.
- Boil pasta according to directions. In the last 3-4 minutes of cooking, add in broccoli. Drain and set aside.
- In a blender combine rest of ingredients, except broccoli and breadcrumbs, until thick and creamy.
- Pour sauce over pasta and broccoli in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Stir in 2 tbsp breadcrumbs. Spread pasta into baking dish in an even layer. Sprinkle on another tbsp breadcrumbs. Bake for 10 min. Take out and sprinkle on another tbsp of breadcrumbs and broil on high for 5-7 min. or until golden brown.
- Dish out and garnish with cracked red pepper, black pepper, and fresh basil. Enjoy!