Sometimes I have a sweet tooth and want to make cookies, but don’t have the energy to do so. However, these cookies can be made ahead of time. Just pop the prepared dough in the freezer, take them out when you need them, cut into slices, and pop them in the oven. THAT easy!
These cookies are ultra-buttery, crunchy, and slightly crumbly. Just how a traditional shortbread cookie is supposed to be! With delicious citrus notes from the orange zest and a nutty flavor from the sliced almonds & extract.
Now I am not going to lie that these are not the healthiest cookies, but oh do they taste good!
Nothing wrong with a treat every once in a while, because that is what my blog is all about…balance.
These cookies are super customizable because you can add any nuts or flavorings of your choice.
- dried cranberries
- dried apricots
- grated ginger
- dipped in chocolate
- maple extract
This recipe is…
- Buttery, crunchy, and perfectly crumbly
- Citrusy & nutty
- Super easy & simple
Almond-Orange Shortbread Cookies
By: Taavi Elizabeth Makes: 2 dozen cookies
- 3/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced almonds
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric hand mixer, beat butter and sugar until smooth. Add in extracts & zest and mix.
- Taking 1/2 cup at a time, beat in flour with mixer. The mixture will look quite crumbly but should stick together when pressed between your fingers. Stir in almonds.
- Take a large sheet of wax paper. Pour mixture onto the paper and form into an 8×4 inch log. Wrap up tightly in paper and freeze for at least 1 hour. At this point, you can freeze for up to 3 months.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take out and let it defrost a bit for 8-10 min. Cut into 1/4 inch slices (you can do slightly thicker if you prefer). Place evenly on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 min. or until golden brown. Cool on a wire cooling rack. It will get a bit harder once you let them cool. Enjoy!